Since cold temperatures are one place EVs tend to bog down, the way below zero tolerances are a welcome design feature. Another design innovation is the body style. The 9-3 platform is about the size of a modern crossover. The Saab EV should offer plenty of room.
The roominess does cause a small efficiency penalty. However, the 35.5 kWh battery pack should provide plenty of local range for hauling. The range stated is still 25% over that of the Leaf.
Operating specs for the ePower prototype:
The Saab 9-3 ePower:
Top Speed - 150 kph or 93 mph
0-100 kph - 9.5 seconds
Battery Power - 300 volts
Motor Power - 135 kW/184 hp
Battery Storage - 35.5 kWh - Lithium-Ion
Range - 200 km or 124 miles
Efficiency: - 286 Wh/mi
The battery pack is very up to date, provided by Boston Power’s Swing Cells. The pack boasts a cobalt and manganese cathode and graphite anode.
Battery pack specs:
Energy density of 180 Wh/kg
Volumetric density of 420 Wh/L
1,000+ cycles at 100% Depth of discharge (DOD)
2,000+ cycles at 90% DOD
Constant power of 440 W/kg
Pulse power of 1,500 W/kg (2s pulse)
The Saab company has an interesting history in aerospace and defense. The name is short for Swedish Aeroplane Company Limited. The company has been manufacturing cars since the late 1930s. However, SAAB AB is two companies....one automotive, and one defense.
Saab seems motivated by statistics. A Saab CEO has been quoted as saying: "By 2016, annual global sales of electric vehicles are expected to reach 500,000 units and Saab is determined to be represented in this important, growing segment." Pike Research further forecasts annual Asian (mostly China) EV sales to hit 600,000 per year in the next five years.
The Saab electric car is going to be produced by the new all electric vehicle consortium headed by NEVS - National Electric Vehicle Sweden AB. NEVS
is headed by the Hong Kong-based National Modern Energy Holdings Ltd, and will control 51 percent of the consortium. Chinese and Japanese investors represent the other 49 percent interest in the company under the name Sun Investment LLC. The consortium aims to tap into annual Asian sales forecast at 600,000 EV and HEVs.
SAAB Electric Cars
the latest EV entry from a major auto manufacturer. The 9-3 ePower model shows typical Saab styling and good specs. The 9-3 and 9-5 models are prototype platforms for alternative fuels autos.
The new Saab is actually a prototype for a 70 strong test car fleet. The fleet will be testing over the next year or so on Swedish roads. This EV is designed to operate at temperatures of -30 degrees C or -22 degrees F.